Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Stuff

Since we are a movie watching group I thought a little Oscar talk might be fun. Judy and I had actually seen each of the movies nominated for Best Picture, All of the performances nominated for Best Actor and 4 of the 5 nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Not bad at all this year. Unfortunately we were not as lucky with the femal acting nominees having seen only one of the Best Actress and 3 of the Best Supporting Actress nominees.

I felt like there were several locks coming in, Daniel Day Lewis, Javier Bardem, No Country for Best Picture, Diabolo Cody for writing Juno and The Coen's for adapting No Country. The rest were wide open and proved to be just that with both female acting winners in the upset category.

If there is one category they can do away with it is best song. How exactly Eddie Vedder get totally bypassedm, his soundtract to Into the Wild was AMAZING!!!! 3 crappy Disney songs get nominated for the same movie? Give this category over to te Grammy's or something. It is just a terrible category. Just remember.............."it's hard out here for a pimp" Need I say more?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

What?? You didn't like the Disney songs....how absurd! Unfortunately, that is is the only movie we saw. It was cute but I would agree it isn't worthy of all that attention. Hopefully "Old Country.." will come back to the Theatre so we can see it. I've heard lots of good things about it. What did you think of the Oscar show overall? I thought it was pretty well paced but I guess it got one of the lowest ratings ever. I felt that was interesting since the writers strike is over & I thought viewers would be starving for something other that reality shows...but what do I know?

The Dirty Dawg Sports Blawg said...

No I acgtually thought there were incredibly lame. I did not see the movie and as such had no connection to them, but when they were performed they were just blah at best.

"No country" or "Old men" but not "Old Country", you need to get out more Lisa. LOL. It was a great movie, was it the BEST movie I saw from last year, I would say the best one I saw was not nominated and if you haven't seen it, you have missed out, but it is on video, Gone Baby Gone. Incredible movie and if Ben Affleck never acts again, but continues to direct we may all be better off because he did this one and it was an impressive first film. Also, In the Valley of Elah was awesome and only Tommy Lee Jones received any recognition. There were a lot of excellent films this past year, but the best quote from any of them was from Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood, "I'll drink your milkshake" You might not get it just reading the quote, but if you see the movie you will. Good movie, GREAT performance.

The Oscars do a better job than any of the other shows at giving out actual awards instead of spending the night sucking up to each other like the Grammys do. Stewart was an adequate host, but I miss the days of Steve Martin or Billy Crystal, they were the best for me. Awards shows don't do very well and there were not huge fan favorites like Titanic to draw a crowd to the show so I am not really surprised that there was low viewership.

Kim said...

But the Once guys got best song and it was great, wasn't it? Glen Hansard was really nice and humble but then them cutting off Marketa Irglova and John Stewart bringing her back out? And then what she said? Yes!

I'm going to see them perform in Madison in June. The tickets sold out in a little over a day!

But, yeah, they're going to have to make another film and try to win back the credibility lost year before last. Yikes. At least we all know now how hard out here it is for a pimp.