Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin

Another comedy icon has passed away, sadly George Carlin died. Here is a link to an article about his passing. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080623/ap_on_en_tv/obit_george_carlin

Now that George and his social commentary have left the building, that really only leaves a couple of the comic giants from my youth still with us, and as much as I loved Steve Martin, he hasn't done stand up in 30 years. This leaves me with Cheech and Chong as the last men standing from the great group of comedians I grew up with.

George was one of the best, and some would say, THE BEST ever. For me Richard Pryor stands alone as the best, but if there is a Mount Rushmore of Comedy, George is right there, carved in stone along with Richard. he had the ability to say what a lot of people think and to do in in a way that made you both laugh and think. Most of the things I have read or heard today reference his 7 words you can't say on TV bit, which was classic and a supreme court decency test case, but his decades long commentary on society and the things that happen around him, the world and in the country were what I always found the most funny. I don't know the count of HBO specialas he did, but i am sure he did fr many more than any other comedian and they were all funny.

I'd love to hear from you all about your Carlin inpressions. I will leave you with one of the lines I always remember from George...

A man attempting to walk around the world, died today.

Did you know you can prick your finger, but you can't finger your prick?

1 comment:

Scott Underwood said...

I was sad to hear about the passing of George Carlin. He was one of those comedians with a very distinctive voice and very distinctive act. Some of my favorites besides the 7 words were where he talks about stuff and compares baseball and football.

I've found a couple of You Tube videos, however I cannot play them at work to verify. I will look when I get home tonight on my personal pc and if they are what I'm looking for I'll post them here.

Rest in peace George.