Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Elliot Spitzer (Swallows)

I hope you all got a laugh with the subject line, but his situation does affect some members of this blog who live in New York so I wanted to talk about it a bit.

I am not one to hoist my version of morality on them, everyone has to be able to live with them self and how they conduct themselves in their daily affairs. I've made mistakes, as have the rest of us, we are all human.

That said, unless I had a real bender and ordered some serious room service (wink wink) and don't recall it, I've never been *ahem* serviced by a call girl, not even a $5000 an hour one. Apparently "Client #9" seriously enjoys call girls, and expensive ones at that.

Going to hookers, oh, sorry, excuse me, Call Girls, is nothing new for men in general and politicians in particular, I have to wonder just how stupid this guy is. Some of the reports I have read indicate he had to sneak these "women" past the State Police details assigned to protect him. Did he seriously think he would not get found out? Morality aside, that is pretty stupid.

My view on prostitution may not endear me to many members of society, but I really don't think it should be illegal. I say legalize it and tax the hell out of it, force the workers to get regular HIV tests and STD tests, document them and let people have at it. I'm never going to go to one, but in my opinion it is a victimless crime. Going the route I suggest would also serve to remove the organized crime element from the "business" as well.

As for Spitzer, I am glad he is resigning, even his "apology" was weak. He didn't even have the courage to say what it is he had done. Pretty chickenshit if you ask me.

It is interesting that a legally blind black man will be taking over as Governor of New York now, surely he will be able to see things more appropriately than Spitzer did.

No comments: