Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Physical Therapy

This is my first attempt at a start of a blog. I have never done this before, so hopefully it works. As some of you know, I am in physical therapy for left lower extremity pain. I have been going for three weeks, and nothing really has changed. The PT thinks that my left inards are out of wack, i.e., the SI joint, pelvic bone and sacrum. The possibilty also exists that I have a bulging disc or nerve issues. My reason for this blog is to see if any of you have ever experienced these types of pains. I know Rick has back issues, but how they started and what exactly he experiences is not known to me. My basis issues are constant pain in the left leg, feels muscular, but all tests indicate it is not. It gets better as the day progresses, and is awful in the morning and when I become more sedentary in the evening. There is also pain associated with any stretching for the piriformis and tenderness to palpation in the piriformis, SI joint, sacrum, and hip area. I have been performing home exercises for nerve related issues as well as core strengthening, which is not very good. Any suggestions or information if anyone has had these same symptoms would be appreciated. Thanks. Love you all.

5 comments:

The Dirty Dawg Sports Blawg said...

Looks like it worked just fine for you.

As you said, I have experienced back pain, it has been ongoing for years and years. I can pinpoint the exact mechanism of injury not that it is relevant to this discussion.

What I have is two bulging discs between L3 - 4 - 5. I have done physical therapy, Chiropractics and eventually this past year I had 3 steroid injections that have helped ease the swelling.

At times the pain has been terrible, but mostly it is a consistent nuisance.

What happens with a bulging disc, at least in my case is the nerves that stick out through the bone were being touched by the bulging disc, that was the source of the pain. As a result of this I was also having for lack of a better word "drop foot" after the injections it has gotten better, but never as good as it should be.

As you know Dad had back touble forever and eventually had to have surgery. I suspect we may both had that at some point in out future.

Denice said...

Thanks for the info. I had PT today and asked if these problems could be hereditary. He said could be. Have you been told you have arthritis? The funny thing about me is that I haven't had an x-ray or an MRI. They wanted me to try PT first. They are now looking at the PSOAS/Iliacus area. I had extreme tenderness to palpation there today. Likely will go for two more weeks and then get sent for MRI. Would like to know what is up OFFICIALLY. Trial and error to this point. I totally can relate to consistent nuisance.

Anonymous said...

Well Dee~
I have constant pain down my left leg and sometimes my right. Last Summer I was going to a Chiropractor and I really felt a difference. I would still be going if it didnt cost so much and wasnt so far away! But it really helped me out a lot!

Heather

Denice said...

I have thought about that, but I am a little leary of chiropractors, just comes from working in insurance defense. I'm going to continue to give the PT a shot and wait for the MRI. Hopefully then I will have some answers. I hope so, because it really sucks, especially with having an active 18-month-old and 9-year-old.

Kim said...

praying for you invalids