Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Brett Favre Retires

As most of you know, Brett Favre has retired from the NFL after 17 years, 16 with the mighty Green 'n Gold. There are many memories of Favre during his tenure in Green Bay. Lets share some of them here.
Scott

3 comments:

The Dirty Dawg Sports Blawg said...

There are so many memories he has provided over the years, it would be impossible to narrow it down to one or even two.

One of my earliest memories is how excited I was when I heard the Packers had traded for him, most of the people I knew were, who is this guy, are they crazy giving up a #1 pick for some back up in Atlanta. I kept assuring them it was a great move. I remember how after a horrid first half against the Lions in 1994 Holmgren was ready to pull the plug on Favre and Andy Reid talked him out of it, Brett had a spectactular second half and never lost his grip on the job after that. I remember how when he threw so many picks, he threw one away and the fans all cheered derisively.

That was some of the bad, here is some of the good: I remember the great battles and sparring matches he had with Warren Sapp, I remember him ripping off his helmet and ran around the Superdome field in Super Bowl XXXI like a child with such exuberance and enthusiasm. I remember the records he set this year, every one of them, even the interceptions, after all that is a part of what makes him who he is. I obviouisly remember that Monday night in Oakland, when he did the seemingly unthinkable so soon after his father passing. I remember how he shaved his head in support of Deanna and her battle with breast cancer. I remember the way he teard up after the New Years Eve game in Chicago at the end of the 06 season, and how we all thought for sure he was hanging it up after the season. I remember how we all thoguht after this year he was going to come back for another, and how in his final zig when we thought he was going to zag, he retired.

I cannot begin to say how important he has been to the Team, Orgainzation, City, State and the Game over the years. In no particular order, Brett, Reggis, Mike Holmgren, Ron Wolf and Bob Harlan are forever linked as the men most responsible for returning this team to it's former glory. I remember growing up wnd loving the team and wondering what it would be like to see them win, not a Super Bowl, just be representative and win consistently, be competitive.

I never want to return to the years preceding this run. I heard and interesting statistic this morning, in the 16 years that Brett Favre has been the starting QB for the Packers, they have had the BEST RECORD in the NFL during that span. I knew they were in the top 5, but did not think they were the best. In the end isn't that what it is all about? Winning? No one ever did it better than Brett.

One Last Memory.................
Cornbread, black eyed peas who dat thought we'd beat that team.... WHO DAT!!!!

Lisa said...

I agree with Rick that it is difficult choose one favorite memory when there have been so many with Brett Farve at the helm.

Several of you probably know, and I will surely get flack for annoucing it, but I was once a Dallas Cowboy fan..yep, I loved them when I was growing up in those young & foolish years when I didn't know any better. My point is I loved Roger Staubach & never thought there would be another quarterback that I would hold in such high regards until Brett Farve came along.

His boyish energy & love for the game was so addicting that you couldn't help but get excited every time he threw a touchdown pass. Not merely for the score but the feeling he gave you that every touchdown pass was like his first.

I have two favorite memories & first being their Superbowl win & my second was the game against Oakland on Monday night as I've never seen anything like it & doubt I will again.

You can bet we will continue to cheer on the Green & Gold until our dying days, but there will never be another player quite like Brett Farve.

Denice said...

Well, I'm not sure how I could possibly hold up to anything the two of you have said. While I am a Packer fan and a Brett Favre fan, hell, my kid has the same name, although Brett Favre misspelled his, I haven't been able to follow them as much as you all have. I guess my best memory, or thought would be the way he played. I don't think I have ever seen anyone absolutely LOVE just to play the game. Someone who just wanted to be out playing, didn't care about anything else, money didn't matter. It was all about the LOVE of playing. Everything that came with it was great, he just wanted to suit up. He proved that many times, through all his injuries, he had such a great toughness, and I don't think there will EVER be anyone like him again.

He was human, and we all knew it. That is very rare in a "athlete". Few and far between.

Go green and gold, BUT . . . we will miss #4. I'm sure there will never again be a #4 in a packer uniform, and there shouldn't be.