Monday, March 17, 2008

March Madness

It is that time of year again, the lull between the end of Football and the start of Baseball is finally broken up college basketball. Wisconsin is once again well represented by two teams capable of making deep runs into the tournament. Marquette is led by one of, if not THE, best backcourt in the country. Jerrell McNeal and Dominic James are unquestionably the best defensive backcourt in America and when James is having one of his good shooting nights the pair are unstoppable and so are the Warriors, yes I said Warriors, not Golden Eagles. Wisconsin, a team predicted to finish 5th or 6th in the Big 10 (errrr 11 LOL) after the departures of Alando Tucker and Chris Rock, oh, that wasn't Chris Rock, I could have sworn it was, may be the best defensive team in the nation. They play within Bo Ryan's system as well or better than any of his previous teams at UW. Bucky was slighted by being given a 3 seed instead of the 2 they deserved, but I like their draw and believe they have a legit chance to make the elite 8 and if at that point they can upset Kansas, wow, what an amazing season it would be.

I see a lot of experts predicting a second round exit for both Wisconsin teams, and though I am certainly no expert, those guys are crazy in my opinion. Both teams are capable of much more than that and we will see that starting on Thursday!

Go Bucky and Go Warriors!!!

4 comments:

Scott Underwood said...

While I agree with your sentiment about the Warriors and Badgers, I think the Badgers have a better chance of going far into the tournament than the Warriors.

MU relies on the ability of McNeal, James, and Matthews to score without having much else to fall back on. With the poor shooting performance of James and Matthews over the last month, I don't see how they get past the improved play of Kentucky.

In contrast to the reliance of guard play at MU is the steady if unspectacular play of the entire Badgers team. Each player in the top 8 for Wisconsin is capable of leading the team in scoring on a given night. That balance will make them hard to stop as they progress through the tournament. Much more balanced that last years team that was eliminated by UNLV, this Wisconsin team is capable of inflicting it's will on the opponent more than any team in the Bo Ryan era.

My heart says Badgers to the Sweet 16 and my mind tells me not to pick MU this time.

Either way, it's tournament time. Let the games begin.

The Dirty Dawg Sports Blawg said...

Both Bucky and the Warriors won their first round games, one more and it is the Sweet Sixteen baby!!!

Denice said...

I'd love to comment on this, but I know absolutely nothing about college basketball. Way over my head. Go any team from WI.

Denice said...

So, how did everyone do on their pools? I see a good team won, one I'm sure all the "pros" picked. Did anyone get it right?